One of the things I love about Twitter is the way it puts you in touch with interesting people you wouldn’t otherwise meet.
It’s always nice to get new followers (if any of you are reading this, thank you!) but I do sometimes puzzle over who’s following me and why. I tweet mainly about language (and also about chocolate, fashion and design, as @ChocStyle). So I was a wee bit bemused by these new followers:
- @GetHimBackGuy: How to Get Him Back Fast: “Here’s How To Easily Get YOUR EX-Boyfriend Or Former Man Actually BEGGING YOU…(To Take Him Back)”
- @igotmyexback: The Magic of Making Up: From The Man That Has Secretly Helped 50,119 People In 77 Countries…I’ll take you by the hand and show you exactly what to do and what to say to get your ex lover back in your arms – Especially if you are the only one trying…
- @datinggossip: Online Dating Gossip Magazine: Great stuff coming soon – Online Dating News, Advice, Gossip & Entertainment. Reader support & debate. Mr./Ms. Online Dating Superstar Competition and more!
- @Love4Over50: Margot’s Manhunt: Overweight and Over 50, Will There Be a Second Chance at Love?
- @BirthdayMatcher: Birthday Matcher: a free Social site which finds other people born on exactly the same day, month and year as you were; Your Cyber Twin)
and, even more puzzling alarming:
- @weddingandbaby: Wedding and Baby: We cater for all your wedding and baby needs. From tiaras to tantrums we have it all!
Was there something my best friend should be telling me?! Then it clicked: I’d sent a tweet on “The romance of kissing, by Maryanne Fisher”, linking to a Psychology Today article on the theory and practice of kissing (spotted in the “Most Popular Posts” section when reading New Ideas About the Origin of Language).
I’m really glad I didn’t tweet about the other articles listed in Popular Posts: Why Do Breasts Mesmerize?; As Porn Goes Up, Performance Goes Down; and Learning from Porn. There’s also an article on Jews, Jesuits, Geniuses: The religion-IQ link is JUST a correlation (from the blog Sex, Murder and the Meaning of Life), but there I really do not want to venture.
My latest tweet is:
Chinglish (http://ow.ly/1G5jk) Restaurant sign: Fragrant and Hot Marxism. Comment by 17-yr-old son (!): Sounds like a communist bordello.
I wait in trepidation…
Photo of Luis and Yolanda by Sergio Morchon.
By Marian Dougan